Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Weekly Movie Watch Volume 35

This week I watched Birdman.

I watch movies every week and then write down my thoughts. Read my previous reviews!
My rating is simple, Watch It, It Depends, Skip it.

Michael Keaton in Birdman
Birdman - Leave it all on the stage.
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014)
Watch Birdman

Plot:
Riggan Thomson, best known as the titular character Birdman, writes, directs, and stars in a Broadway play in an effort, he claims, to do something meaningful. Besieged by setbacks at every turn, Thomson wants to separate himself from the Birdman.

Review:
I wasn't sure what to expect, the previews seemed to contradict the summary. The movie surprised me throughout, and I was never quite sure when we were in or outside of Riggan Thomson's head.
I like movies that deal with the struggle of an artist. Should one create art, something meaningful, or attempt to appeal to the masses. An artist's very identity is tied to the creation.
Riggan is extremely talented, but craves recognition by others. He desires relevance and recognition. His narcissism repels everyone around him as he attempts to separate himself from the very thing that made him famous. Does he seek to contribute or seek affirmation of his own importance?
Filmed as a single continuous take gives the movie a kinetic, explosive energy. A single image can't begin to capture the cinematography, which is more of a technical achievement and compliment to the direction. It's a movie that requires a second viewing. Michael Keaton does an amazing job, as do all the actors. Numerous references link Keaton to his film role as Batman and to Ed Norton to being difficult to work with. I can't imagine any other actor where those references would have worked quite as well.
Reading different fan theories after having watched it will add new perspectives.
Watch it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget