Thursday, August 31, 2017

Adventure Time Season 1 Review

Adventure Time (2010-2018)
Season 1 - 26 episodes (2010)
Buy Adventure Time Season 1 on Amazon
Created by: Pendleton Ward
Starring: John DiMaggio, Jeremy Shada, Tom Kenny
Rated: TV-PG

Plot
A human boy named Finn with his adopted brother and best friend Jake the Dog, protect the citizens of the Land of Ooo from foes of various shapes and sizes.

Verdict
While certainly creative, it's almost too wacky. I prefer something more grounded, and I wasn't expecting Finn and Jake's unique adventures. It's my fault for expecting something more traditional, and upon a second watch I'd probably like this much more.
It depends.

Review
I've been on an animated series kick, finally watching the shows I've heard a lot about. I love Rick and Morty (read my review), and I really enjoyed Gravity Falls (read my review), but Adventure Time just didn't grab me.

The episodes are surprisingly short at just ten minutes. This is a strange show full of odd adventures, aimed at those with short attention spans.
Some of the episodes get emotional with surprising accuracy, but it didn't capture my fascination. It's a little too odd and weird for me. It might just be a show I need to revisit later. Watching this after Rick and Morty, which is incredibly clever, insightful, and crude, and Gravity Falls, which is wholesome and adventurous with exquisite animation didn't help either. When you compare anything to the top examples in the genre, it's going to suffer.

This is a show that isn't what I expected. I was hoping to watch this with my son, and I quickly realized that wasn't a possibility. While it's rated PG, it's really pushing the limits. I had double checked a few online reviews, and I don't agree with the numerous people claiming it's just fine for a child to watch, nor do I agree with the PG rating.

One day, and that day may never come, I'll return to the land of Ooo. I expect my second visit to be more enjoyable than the first.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget