Thursday, September 1, 2016

New in Theaters for September

A lot of movies are premiering in September, but only a few of them interest me. This is why they might be worth watching... or avoiding.

WATCHING
The Magnificent Seven (September 23, 2016)
I'm not a fan of remakes or remakes of remakes, but with a huge cast that includes Chris Pratt, Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke, and Vincent D'onofrio among others and directed by Antoine Fuqua (Training Day (2001), The Equalizer (2014), Southpaw (2015))... I think I have to see this.


Deepwater Horizon (September 30, 2016) 
I know it's Mark Wahlberg, but it does have Kurt Russell. The trailer looks awesome, so I'm hoping for a solid action movie.

The Light Between Oceans (September 2, 2016) 
Michael Fassbender is a lighthouse keeper that rescues an adrift baby. I'm a big fan of director Derek Cianfrance previous work, A Place Beyond the Pines (2012) and Blue Valentine (2010). I'll see this based on those films alone.

Snowden (September 16, 2016) 
With Oliver Stone, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Timothy Olyphant this might be good. Then again, Stone's last movie was Savages (2012), so this is no guarantee, but at least he's attracted better talent this time.
 
AVOIDING

Nerve(September 16, 2016) 
Online truth or dare. I'm bored already. Looking at the trailer the audience is clear, as is my resolution to avoid this movie.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (September 30, 2016)
Another young adult cash grab based on a book. It doesn't seem that dissimilar from Harry Potter, but despite Tim Burton directing, I don't see this taking off.

Sully (September 9, 2016) 
Tom Hanks and Clint Eastwood team up to tell the story of a hero plane pilot. I feel like I've seen this movie and it was called Flight (2012) with Denzel Washington. If it worked once it will work again, right? Will this be better than Flight?
I don't think this will be a bad movie, especially with the people involved, but we've seen this movie already.

Bridget Jones's Baby (September 16, 2016) 
I've never seen a Bridget Jones movies, and that streak will continue.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget