Friday, May 12, 2017

In the Shadow of Iris Netflix Movie Review

In the Shadow of Iris (2017)
Watch in the Shadow of Iris on Netflix
Written by: Andrew Bovell (screenplay), Jérémie Guez (adaptation), Jalil Lespert ... (adaptation), Jérémie Guez, Jalil Lespert (dialogue)
Directed by: Jalil Lespert
Starring:  Romain Duris, Charlotte Le Bon, Jalil Lespert
Rated: TV-MA

Plot
Iris, the young wife of a businessman, disappears in Paris. A mechanic with a big debt is involved in a complicated case of deceptions and fetishes.

Verdict
While I watched this entire movie, I felt like I fell asleep for thirty minutes right in the middle. This is needlessly complicated and confusing, throwing in fetishes and a sex club for no real reason other than to make this mundane outing more than it is. That and this movie, don't succeed.
If necessarily convoluted plot lines were a good thing, this movie would be great. Unfortunately, neither are true.
Skip it.

Review
The first shot of the mechanic in his shop was an artistic, flowing shot. The next scene is a completely dull scene of Antoine saying, "I love you Iris." It's a low effort way to set up the plot. Next she completely vanishes, leaving Antoine concerned.

One of the many problems for this movie is the lack of excitement. That and figuring out what is actually going on is futile. Once you get to the end, you'll get the answers but it's not worth sitting through this. I still don't understand why the wife is so needlessly theatric. Her entire arc is completely contrived just to make this movie. If you want to run away, do it.

I got confused between the mechanics wife, mistress, and Iris. At this point in the movie there was only the guy's wife and Iris. It was possible there were three for four brunettes in this movie, but it realistically could be just two. I've watched all kinds of movies and I'm rarely this befuddled by what's actually happening. This is the movie's fault, not mine.

There's a sex club thing, and at this point I gave up trying to understand the movie. There's a big twist that ties back to the question of just how many brunettes are in this movie. While I can tell you what happened, I'm not sure why. This manufactueres a mystery out of very little content.

Instead of dropping the big twist and ending the movie on a relatively high note compared to the disaster that is this film, it just keeps going. Once the mystery was solved I didn't care anymore. I just kept wondering when this would end.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget