Monday, March 28, 2016

Pee-Wee's Big Holiday Netflix Movie Review

Pee-Wee's Big Holiday (2016)

Pee-Wee's Big Holiday - This scene, like the movie is odd and unnecessary.

Watch Pee-Wee's Big Holiday on Netflix
Written by:
Paul Reubens and Paul Rust (screenplay)
Directed by: John Lee
Starring:  Paul Reubens, Jordan Black, Doug Cox 
Rated: PG

Plot:
In this Netflix produced movie, Pee-Wee travels to New York after meeting actor Joe Manganiello.

Verdict:
When an actor inhabits a role that made him famous thirty years ago, I assume it's because they've done nothing of note since then. That would be the case here I can only assume.
Throughout the movie, the word pointless kept coming to mind. It's been a while since I've seen anything Pee-Wee Herman, but I found the character incredibly annoying. This is made all the more disturbing know that Reubens is in his sixties playing a man-child.
Manganiello was actually funny. For whatever reason he likes Pee-wee.
I can't think of a reason anyone should watch this. If this made the Netflix cut, I'm really curious to see what didn't make the Netflix cut. Some franchises are better left alone, and this is one of them.  
Skip it. 

Review:
Paul Reubens adapts to Pee-Wee rather well despite the mileage.
Pee-wee is incredibly annoying, and his giggle is maddening. I wondered if he could even form a coherent sentence. He can. I don't know if that's better or worse.
I need to revisit Pee-Wee's Big Adventure because either this movie is bad or I just don't get it. I understand he's a man child, but this barely qualifies as entertaining.
Pee-Wee and Joe Manganiello are soul brothers. Despite being physically opposites, they are mentally identical. Joe plays himself which is smart. He invites Pee-Wee across the country to his birthday party.
Is this in the same world as Big Adventure? He took a road trip in that to Texas, so how can Pee-Wee say he's never left his city of Fairville? This movie is a half-hearted remake attempt.
I'm trying to think of a reason as to why someone should watch this, but I just cant fathom a reason. I would like to see a movie Netflix rejected, if such a movie exists.
The balloon squeaking scene with the Amish is the perfect indicator of whether you will like this movie. Pee-Wee blows up a balloon and then releases air producing the typical obnoxious, high-pitched squeak. I didn't time it, but it felt like this scene lasted fifteen minutes. It was an affront to my intelligence, my patience, and my good taste. If this sounds like something you want to see. this is the movie for you. Otherwise, run far away, quickly.
Pointless is the word that keeps coming to my mind. What did i expect? It's reviving a thirty years dead Pee-Wee Herman. This movie makes me want to watch Big Adventure to see if it's better than this. It has to be, but I'm hesitant in case it's not.
Somebody proposed this movie idea. Somebody else said yes lets make it. More people agreed and two people wrote a script. Ostensibly whoever paid for this looked at the script and declared, "Yes. This is it. It's time to make this movie." That chain of events is baffling. Did this slip through the cracks and a production company agreed to make a batch of movies with this hidden between other scripts? Was blackmail involved?
Joe whining about Pee-Wee not showing up to the party is actually funny because it's absurdity, and because it's unfathomable that someone wants Pee-Wee around.
Also, why are all the cars on the main street of Fairville from the 50s and 60s?
The plot of this movie is thin. It's a point A to point B travel film with virtually no inspiration. The writers decided to take a straight line. Big Adventure has to be better than this right?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget