Thursday, August 31, 2017

New in Theaters for September

A lot of movies are premiering in September, but only a few of them interest me. This is why they might be worth watching... or avoiding.

WATCHING
Kingsman: The Golden Circle (September 22, 2017)
The first movie was fully aware of the spy genre and James Bond and crafted a fun ride that often poked fun at spy movie conventions. The church fight was spectacular, and I'm expecting more of the same.

It (September 8, 2017)
Sometimes hype overcomes my reservations. This is one of those times. The original It, based on the Stephen King novel, is a classic. I'm hoping the budget allows for creative freedom but doesn't lead to making everything CGI and losing the gritty feeling a movie like this needs.

Granite Mountain Hotshots (September 22, 2017)
This is an action movie with firefighters starring Miles Teller, Taylor Kitsch, and Josh Brolin. I'm expecting something along the lines of The Perfect Storm and Lone Survivor.

Rebel in the Rye (September 15, 2017)
A biopic about author J.D. Salinger is a huge gamble, but with as cast that includes Kevin Spacey, Sarah Paulson, and Nicholas Hoult, I'll give it a shot.

AVOIDING

Flatliners (September 29, 2017)
Is this a remake of the Julia Roberts-Kiefer Sutherland movie from 1990? Why?

American Made (September 29, 2017)
The Tom Cruise missile strikes again on the heels of The Mummy just a few weeks ago. While Cruise makes entertaining movies, I have to wonder if this, like The Mummy, is made just to stroke his ego.

American Assassin (September 15, 2017)
Two Taylor Kitsch movies in one month? Friday Night Lights fans rejoice. While this does have the esteemed Michael Keaton, these two actors aren't selling me this time. Honestly, I'll probably watch it eventually. I have a healthy Michael Keaton appreciation and I watch more Kitsch movies than I should hoping he'll recapture that FNL magic. What's this movie about? It's in the title.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget