Wednesday, March 1, 2017

New in Theaters for March

A lot of movies are premiering in March, but only a few of them interest me. This is why they might be worth watching... or avoiding.

WATCHING
Life (March 24, 2017)
A space ship crew finds life on Mars. I love sci-fi and the trailer looks great.  With a case of Rebecca Ferguson, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Ryan Reynolds this should be good. Gyllenhaal has learned to pick good roles, ever since Prince of Persia.

Logan (March 3, 2017)
Standalone Wolverine movies don't have the best track record, but the hype this movie has generated has me curious. The first teaser images with the little girl seemed like a ploy, but this just might deliver. It's supposed to be Hugh Jackman's final time portrayed the admantium reinforced mutant.

Kong: Skull Island (March 10, 2017)
I was disappointed with Peter Jackson's King Kong (2005) pet project and I know I should be hesitant with this one, but I think it could be good. With Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Brie Larson, and John C. Reilly, surely not all of them made a mistake, right?

CHIPS (March 24, 2017)
I don't know if we need a reboot of the 70s/80s television series, I'm willing to give it a chance if only in the hopes that Dax Shephard and Michael Peña can hold a candle to Super Troopers (2001).

AVOIDING
Beauty and the Beast (March 17, 2017)
While I don't think this will be bad, it appears they are going to recreate the 1994 animated version scene for scene in live action, I don't like the lack of creativity. It's a cash grab banking on nostalgia. Is Disney going to start re-creating all of their animated films in live action now?

T2 Trainspotting (March 17, 2017)
Any sequel that comes out twenty years later is going to have a hard time establishing credibility and re-capturing the magic of the first film. Trainspotting (1996) doesn't need a sequel. I don't care if Danny Boyle and Ewan McGregor are both on board.

Power Rangers (March 24, 2017)
I thought the darker, edgier recreations had finally passed. I guess not. This is targeting the now grown ups that grew up with Power Rangers. I missed that boat. Is this going to sink like the Titanic? Only time will tell.

Ghost in the Shell (March 31, 2017)
Despite Scarlett Johannson I don't think this will be that good. Many people will see it for the actress, but this recreation of the mange turned 1995 film is going to be too simplified in a bid to reach mainstream audiences.That's my prediction.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget